Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Fish Head Story - From Undip Tembalang to Rocklin, California - July 2014


If it's sold in a food market, it's got to be edible !

The story began in the now densely populated city of Semarang, on the island of Java. On a stretch of about 1 mile (1.6 km) on the street of Ngesrep leading to the well known University of Diponegoro... there are rows of restaurants, cafes, coffee shops and phantom food stalls. One banner attracted our attention, "Gule Kepala Ikan" (fish head curry).



I thought to myself ....which part of it could you possibly eat? All I could think of is the two eyeballs popping and staring at me. But I decided to give it a try. The restaurant had no AC, but very much open for the breeze to go through. There were five of us and we all ordered the same thing. Fish head curry! Watching everybody savoring the neck, then the cheek, I couldn't help but doing the same, trying not to look at mine in the eye. To my surprise, there was good amount of meat attached to the head.



Upon returning to California, our fisherman friend Joe was expressing his enthusiasm when I told him that I want to give it a try, and make the dish ...my version.


Joe didn't want to have an eye contact with it.

Rose and I were just watching.. haha!



I know... some of you would prefer to have these ..... But that wouldn't be so adventurous!


















No comments: