Monday, October 12, 2009

Flying with Singapore Airlines

September 21, 2009.
Departed half hour after midnight from San Francisco International, Singapore Air took us to Hong Kong. The 13-hour flight always feel like 7 hours to me, for the in-flight services are constant. The crew really put you in the utmost comfort zone. So many selection of movies on your fingertip with private screen in front of you. Meals and snacks whenever you want. Cocktail hours seem to last the entire journey for I see people requesting alcoholic beverages at any time during the flight. I have once tested their generousity and "pretended to be an alcoholic" while I was actually requesting the drinks on behalf of my friends. I was amazed at how graceful the flight attendants are. Now, this is in the Economy Class cabin. Can you imagine how they treat you in the First Class cabin ? Hmmm..... I have to gather more miles for upgrade. Afterall you don't have to be a wealthy person to be treated like a VIP. Oh, by the way, though I do compliment their generousity in serving cocktail, I do however, recommend drinking less alcohol and less caffeine to avoid extensive jet lag.

September 22, 2009
We arrived in Hong Kong early in the morning and sat for 2 hours in transit before we continued on to Singapore. There is not much I can say about the airport in Hong Kong, except that it's huge. So, I was ready to fly again. You may think I am crazy, but I just love flying. It's the only time I can actually relax. Where I don't have to answer the phone, can't check emails, away from my desk, or take care of any other obligations except for one thing ....... fastening my seatbelt. I don't have any problem sleeping in the plane either, unlike those days when I was young and reckless..... hated the plane, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, especially when sitting in upright position. I remember flying with Garuda Indonesia with my friends Julie and Deborah when I was in my late twenties. I was so bored, I decided to offer my help to the gracious flight attendants. In a long flight from Los Angeles to Biak island (north of West Papua New Guinea), I took over a flight attendant's job of pushing the drink cart along the isle while letting her serve the drinks. When we arrived at my seat row, I bent over and offered drinks to Deborah and Julie and they started laughing. I also realized then that I still had my hair rollers on, but inside a boufant cap (hope to look like a chef or someone who works in the kitchen). I had hated my straight asian hair, so I thought while everyone was asleep and the cabin was dark, I could do my dirty little secret ..... making my hair a bit wavy. Well.... after some chattery time with some flight attendants in the kitchen, and their allowing me to help, etc.... I felt so comfy in the social environment that I didn't think it would matter if someone thinks I look silly. No one will ever see me again after this. Besides, some events just don't repeat, especially with the airlines' strict rules nowadays it would be hard to offer personal assistance to the cabin crew members.

No comments: